There’s no easier blog post than co-opting your friend’s idea, so today I take inspiration from Katie over at the Kitchen Door who wrote a fab list of all the things she can envision for herself, you know, secretly.
1. I spend two months of the year traveling: one year to Slovenia, the next year in a luxury tent in British Columbia. I take one trip a year where I just show up in a country with no guidebook or plan.
2. I have a wildly popular book a la Eat, Pray, Love, despite having no pressing subject, and go on a book tour of all the cities I’ve yet to explore. Readers turn out in flocks, because in one’s secret life one can be an amazing public speaker. Also, the book will be a bestseller, but not a mainstream bestseller, of course. A literary gem that is passed from small book club to small book club.
3. My job as a humanitarian saves thousands of lives, while I live humbly and happily, Peace Corps-style, in a hut with books and candlelight.
4. I’m a kindergarten teacher to a passel of cuties who turn out to be brilliant leaders of tomorrow because of how well I taught them to play. And we eat cupcakes all the time for birthdays. None of this Let’s Celebrate All the April Birthdays on one day.
5. I’ve been directed to devote my full attention to nothing but reading heaps of books, completing difficult crossword puzzles, and watching piles of movies. It’s a directive and I will not let anybody down.
6. I live on a farm where I raise happy chickens and cows but I don’t have to get up at 5 a.m. for the milking. Dogs and barn kittens scamper about. Living off the land, baby!
7. I whip up the most elaborate meals with ingredients from my sprawling garden, alternately hosting intimate affairs and dinner parties that linger into the next morning.
8. I would have a personal chef who cooks all my favorite meals but makes them healthy somehow. She gets me to like beets.
9. I live in a bungalow on the beach where I alternately surf, swim, and lounge in a hammock in the shade. I live on fish tacos and salsa.
How about you?