1. An extra day off makes a long weekend longer, in case you didn’t know.
2. Hanging out with Maple, who despite her fur, doesn’t seem to mind the heat as much as her human, though mouse chasing is done with less relish.
3. Reading The Tiger’s Wife and lamenting that I will never be a New Yorker 20 Under 40 writer unless I write a book, publish it and get the New Yorker to fawn all over it in the next year.
4. Buying an obscene amount of chicken wings at Whole Foods to grill because grilling is a God-given American right. Carcinogens: check!
5. Watching a guy walking down the street shielding his family from the pre-fireworks rain with a patio umbrella.